Nowadays, most of the students of our college join a corporate sector (TCS, Amazon, IBM, etc.) to earn themselves a living. Clearly, the atmosphere at the office of a company is quite different from that at the classroom. Hence, it is of utmost importance that a KGEC-ian gets accustomed to corporate culture in his/her college days itself. This can be easily achieved if students engage themselves in various internship programs in these 4 years. KGEC E-Cell endeavours to help students in finding various internships and workshops in companies across different domains.
It is quite possible that a student of our college develops a thrilling idea in a particular field (machine learning, robotics, AI, or refrigeration) during the course of his curriculum. It is very decisive that the student gets an opportunity to work on his own idea, and discover more. Won’t it be too late if he completes his graduation first, and then moves on to research? Why not achieve that within these 4 years! Well, that is what Thomas Young, the great physicist did! KGEC E-Cell is there to make things plausible for aspiring students by providing him/her a platform where one can work on one’s own idea.
In today’s India, we all know that internships are crucial for engineering students. However, students find it difficult to get free internship programs, and often end up spending a hefty sum in the process! KGEC E-Cell is adamant to provide KGEC-ians with internships from various startup companies in and around Kolkata, for free.
“Opportunity knocks at every door, but once.”
Be it placements, internships, workshops, or training programs- engineers of India are always in dire need of opportunities. Sometimes, due to some inevitable circumstances one might be unable to utilize an opportunity. More than often, one ends up looking at the closed door than opening the other doors in life. KGEC E-Cell aims at showing the right path to the students of our college by providing them with various internships, training programs, and workshops from companies across different domains.
It has been already mentioned that KGEC-ians are bent on working on their own ideas. KGEC E-Cell avows to provide a platform to the students of KGEC where ideas in various fields can be shared regularly and effectively. Skills, both soft and hard, are truly decisive for an engineer to work in a corporate sector. Some of these skills required there aren’t included in our curriculum. It is the responsibility of the students themselves to acquire those skills in these 4 years. We have already launched the “SANKALP” program, where one can develop directed skills over a broad range of domains- Python, Digital Marketing, Designing & Photoshop, Web Development, Public Speaking, and Content Writing. We hope that with some active participation and enthusiasm from the student body, we’ll be able to achieve new heights in the very near future.
OUR PLANS FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2018-19
- At least 5 workshops in different domains: Going ahead with our free workshop programme called SANKALP by our alumnus, in the 2018-19 session we further plan to diversify our programme by including various workshops in different fields from different companies based in and around Kolkata. One such recently concluded workshop was the IOT workshop, conducted by MyWBUT.
- Yearlong student-run classes for developing basic skills: In a country where 94% students are unemployable, developing basic skills is the need of the hour. Reshaping the set of skills we have is a must when it comes to landing a decent job. Keeping this in mind, there are various classes held by the members of E Cell on numerous topics such as content-writing, web development, public corporate relation, team management, group discussions, etc. to groom the students in soft skills.
- Internship opportunities and placement opportunities: With the E Cell currently in talks with wide range of companies and building the “startup database”, the benefits of joining the E Cell becomes manifold. E Cell members might also get an edge over others because of direct access to contacts, along with special mock HR interviews and mock placement sessions.
- Freshers’ orientation and a completely revamped E Summit: To grant opportunities to everyone in college, the E Cell has decided on an ‘Internship Fair’ in the days preceding the E Summit. The recruiters from various companies will try to hire potential candidates for various jobs.
- Exposure tours to several IITs and IIMs: Tours to various IITs and IIMs will give the members of E Cell the much-needed expertise to know about the prevailing market scenario necessary in launching a start-up. Also interaction with associates of such esteemed institutes would not only provide a remarkable chance of becoming a part of a network but it might also give one the chance get together his/her own dream team to convert “blueprints” into “business” and become the next big name in the market.